Monday, July 8, 2019

Link of the day: July 8 2019: Chronicles from my Tenth Decade: Who’s Gonna Build Your Wall


-->
This song reminds me of an article I read years ago about the impact of Mexicans on Los Angeles life: the burden of the story was that the many hundreds of thousands of Mexicans who live there are doing all the dirty work for the unresponsive and myopic white population. As he says in the song, "It's a pyramid scheme of dirty jobs...." I always have liked music that carries a message, and I rank this one, Who’s Gonna Build Your Wall, by Tom Russell, up there with the Australian anti-war epic, And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda, which is trotted out mercifully, every time we are celebrating the glories of war and the sacrifices made by ordinary people in fighting them. You can hear it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment